The future is what you make it

The thing with dreams is that they require work, perseverance, patience, a roadmap, planning and A LOT of hope.

Someone said to me the other day than when making a decision we should think about the hypothetical three following decisions that we will will be making after the first initial decision. I got thinking and I liked this practice, it seemed cool and it added this huge dose of perspective that allowed me to see which path (overall) is more in line with who I am trying to be and it can actually be a pretty sweet way to organise our thoughts, too. But have you ever made a choice and had the nagging feeling that you should have ticked the other box? Or have you chosen a road that felt like it would lead to happiness and fulfilment, only to find it was not what you quite expected? 

Everyone has a few dreams or a few goals lined up. We can often find ourselves at crossroads, torn between two different routes we could take and sometimes we may feel pretty stuck on how to get past making the initial choice that may or may not determine our future road. I often feel like life is way too short, that 24 hours just aren't enough, 7 days breeze by, a month feels like a minute, half a year evaporates! I have loads of dreams (just like everyone else!) so many things I want to materialise into reality. I try and keep them at the forefront of what I do and I usually try to complete meaningful actions that will contribute to the dreams/goals and their progression but there are always crossroads, moments of realisation, panic, re-imagining, changing, delaying and trying again. That's the idea, brush yourself off and try again. You love your dreams - I bet you do - surely they are worth a few setbacks? Surely, the day they come true, the journey will just feel like blessing and nothing but a necessary path that directed you down the avenues you needed, facilitated the chance encounters with people you needed to meet and connected you to the opportunities that shaped your story and the road to your dreams.

I have often met people that recall stories of how they got where they are and those tales are laced with inexplicable moments, recollections of tiny things that could have gone any other way and led to another destination. I think a bunch about 'sliding doors' - the school of thought that exercises the possible avenues life could have taken if you simply missed a train in the morning. What if you didn't make it to that meeting, what if you saw someone on the later train you caught, what if you went back home? What would happen? I really believe life is full of all of these 'what ifs' and everyone notices them at different points of their journey - look back, you'll see a bunch.

That being said, I also believe that everything happens for a reason and that where we are right now is where the Universe needs us to be. Whatever happens in our existence, it happens for us not to us and I can't say that enough. I know it sounds a bit mad but life is so vast and there is more to come than we could ever imagine. The only thing I can say about the future is to keep hope. Hold on to whatever glimmer of hope you can conceive of and keep thinking something magical is just around the corner because one day you'll wake up and it will be a day like no other and you'll get ready and head out but while you're picking up coffee, life will give you the biggest surprise you did not see coming.

It does that, the future just happens one day and then its the present and the present is the past so hold on to moments that make you feel like you belong and let go of the moments that won't matter a year from now, the future is ALWAYS what you make it.

Smile, always.
Ux 

Comments

Popular Posts